University Health Service is staffed by two nurse practitioners (advanced practice health care providers who are trained at the graduate or doctorate level in the diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions), a registered nurse, a medical assistant, a referral and insurance coordinator, and a patient care coordinator. The mission of University Health Service is to provide comprehensive medical services to the students of the University of the South.
Services provided at UHS include, but are not limited to:
- Evaluation and treatment of illness and injuries
- Health education and information
- Physical exams
- Sexual health services
- Emergency contraception
- Limited prescription medication dispensary
- Diagnostic laboratory testing
- Referral to specialty providers
Lab work and imaging studies not available at the health service can be performed at Southern Tennessee Regional Health - Sewanee, which is located on campus beside UHS. We are not able to provide allergy shots at the Wellness Center, but can supply referral information upon request.
Appointments are required for University Health Service; to learn more about how to schedule an appointment with us, please see our How do I schedule an appointment? page. You are also able to call our main line at (931) 598-1270 to schedule an appointment or request information.
Please be aware that UHS charges a $25 fee for late cancellations or no shows to appointments. This fee will be charged to your student account. To avoid being charged, please contact the office 2 hours before your appointment time to cancel or reschedule your appointment.
To see the practice policies and limitations, please download our University Health Service Scope of Practice.
Special Statements on Immunizations, the Men B Vaccination, Zika Virus, and other Important Topics
- If you have any questions about your immunity, check with UHS. We require 2 doses of MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) for all incoming students born after 1956.
- We also provide a downloadable handout regarding our Immunization Requirements for Graduate Students. If you are enrolled in a Graduate program, please use this form to determine your compliance with University policy.
- Our statement on the Meningitis B Vaccine Information (pdf) from our previous Medical Director, Dr. Jay McDonald.
- Please see our section on Zika Information for a statement from our Director of Health Service, Karen Tharp, RN, and relevant travel warnings.
- You can find electronic copies of some of our handouts regarding common campus ailments and travel concerns on our forms page. Electronic copies of our required paperwork can also be found in this section.
Sewanee Dining prepares special meals designed for common illnesses, such as the flu, that are available to students upon request. Learn more about these meals at Sewanee Dining.