Crime Prevention Tips
- Travel with purpose and confidence. Make eye contact with passersby and keep a firm hold on your property.
- Travel in groups whenever possible, especially after dark.
- Do not wear earphones (at least not in both ears) while walking or jogging.
- Stay alert. Take note of all vehicles and people in your vicinity.
- Avoid isolated or dark areas.
- Know the location of emergency phones.
- Know the phone number to the Sewanee Police Department: (931) 598-1111.
- Use the Safe Walk option on the Live Safe application.
Residential/ Workplace Safety
- Do not prop open exterior doors.
- Always lock your door when you leave, even if leaving for only a few minutes. Most campus theft is reported from unlocked dorm rooms.
- Always lock your door when you sleep.
- When accessing a building using an electronic keycard or code, do not allow strangers to enter with you under your card or code. Any authorized person should have their own card or code.
- Know your neighbors or coworkers. It will allow you to determine if someone is "out of place."
- Get involved in campus safety. If you see someone or something that you consider suspicious, Immediately contact the Sewanee Police Department at 931-598-1111.
Protecting Personal Property
- Keep your vehicle locked. Store all valuable items in the trunk out of sight.
- Coats, backpacks, purses, laptops, and books should remain with you or be locked up. It's also a good idea to discreetly personalize popular items with your name or initials to prevent mix-ups.
- Register your bicycle! Many bicycles are "borrowed" and then left some place other than where they started out; the Police Department can return found bicycles to their owner if they have been registered.
- Use a steel cable when locking your bike to bike racks
- Keep a log of all high end items and their serial numbers. (ie: laptops and cameras)