Faculty Travel 2017-2018: Guidelines and Budgeting
Below are the guidelines for all faculty seeking financial support for travel to professional meetings between July 1, 2017 - June 30, 2018.
Effective July 1, 2016, the annual maximum for all such support depends upon your position, so consider carefully which meeting(s) you can attend. Please note that the amounts are absolute limits. Fiscal limitations mean that if some people were to draw more that their allotment for their travels, others might have to do without travel altogether. The amounts per year are as follows:
|Tenure line and LTNTT faculty||$2,000|
|Contingent faculty with a multi-year appointment||$1,500|
|Contingent faculty with a one year appointment||$1,000|
Your rate of reimbursement will depend upon your role at the conference or professional meeting. Full reimbursement (up to the annual limit) will normally be made only when the faculty member reads a paper, serves as an official discussant at a session, or presides as a general officer. Faculty who attend but do not have an active role in the meeting will be eligible for a 50% reimbursement (up to the annual limit).
- Requests for financial support must be made by September 30, 2017, using the Tentative Plans Electronic Form. The meeting should be that of a recognized organization in the faculty member's academic discipline and/or a conference of recognized standing.
- If an advance is necessary for non-refundable expenses, a request must be made in time for a check to be prepared according to regular procedures (normally at least two full weeks).
- Within ten days of the faculty member's return from the meeting, a full financial accounting must be made in writing, including amounts spent for travel, lodging, registration fees, and the per diem amount for meals and incidentals. A travel expense report form must be completed separately for each professional meeting.
- In planning a trip to a professional meeting, a faculty member should take advantage, insofar as is possible, of special/discount air rates (and should travel coach class). If several faculty members plan to attend the same meeting they should, as far as is practical, share transportation and accommodations where this will affect significant economies. Please request that any invoice or receipt be sent directly to you and then submit it with your other receipts for reimbursement.
- Driving expenses when a private car is used will be reimbursed at the rate of $0.535 per mile; when a University car or minivan is used, the charge will be $0.56 per mile or $0.60 per mile for larger vans (11 passengers). Since the use of the University car is charged to Faculty Travel, this amount should be shown as an advance in your financial accounting. Arrangements for using a University car can be made through Physical Plant Services.
Tentative Plans Electronic Form (You have the option to receive a copy of your responses.)