Honors in Biology and Ecology & Biodiversity
Requirements for Honors:
1. Minimum grade point average of 3.33 in biology courses taken at Sewanee and 3.00 overall. The 3.33 GPA threshold is evaluated at the end of the student’s penultimate semester (normally, the end of the advent semester of the senior year) and the GPA will include all graded biology classes numbered between 130 and 399.
2. Completion of an approved research paper concerning a subject of relevance to biology,
3. Oral presentation on research paper.
ECOLOGY & BIODIVERSITY
Requirements for Honors:
1. Minimum grade point average of 3.33 in biology and environmental studies courses taken at Sewanee and 3.00 overall. The 3.33 GPA threshold is evaluated at the end of the student's penultimate semester (normally, the end of the advent semester of the senior year) and the GPA will include all graded biology classes numbered between 130 and 399 and all EnSt classes numbered 200 and above.
2. Grade point average of 3.00 overall., and
3. Completion of an approved research paper, plus oral presentation.
The following guidelines are intended to help students and their advisors plan for honors:
1. The research paper will be based on laboratory and/or field work.
2. The paper must be based on work in association with faculty of the University of the South. However, the paper should not be solely the result of assignments in course work other than Biology 444, nor should it be solely the result of paid employment.
3. A student must begin research for an Honors project no later than October 1st of the first semester of his/her senior year. The student must submit a research proposal to their research advisor at this time (we leave the nature of this up to the discretion of individual faculty).
4. The student must submit to the Chair of the Department of Biology a “Student Application for Honors” by April 1st of the senior year. Inquiry will be made to ascertain the research advisor’s evaluation of the nature and quality of the student’s work.
5. Students must present to each member of the Biology Faculty a complete copy of their Honors Thesis by two weeks before the last day of classes. Faculty provide feedback within one week. Approval of the paper by the thesis advisor and by two additional faculty members constitutes approval.
6. The final version of the Honors Thesis must be submitted to the Department Chair by midnight on the last day of classes of the Easter semester.
7. Guidelines for honors theses coming from collaborative research projects: Honors are given in recognition of the strengths and achievements of individual students. Yet part of scientific excellence is the ability to work well in collaborative teams -- thus individual talent is often manifested through group achievement. We recognize this and encourage collaborative research with other faculty and students. For honors theses coming from collaborative work, the acknowledgements section of the thesis will list all collaborators involved in the project (including the contributions of the person applying for honors) and will describe the contributions of each to the research project. The faculty supervisor of the project will also provide the department chair with a brief letter or email certifying that the student applying for honors has been engaged in the project to a level equivalent to the level expected of students applying for honors based on individual research work.
8. The final pdf of the Thesis should be uploaded the D-Space.: http://www.sewanee.edu/dspace/form Put the student’s name as author. No co-authors. List advisors, etc under "sponsors". Under "collection" put choose the "honors theses" option.
October 1st: Proposals due to research advisor
April 1st: Application for Honors due to departmental chair
Friday afternoon of the last week of classes: Oral presentations.
Two weeks before the last day of classes of the Easter semester: Submission of complete copy of Honors thesis to all Biology faculty members. Submission via pdf on email is acceptable, but only if the thesis is correctly formatted and in one document.
One week before the last day of classes of the Easter semester: Deadline for faculty to return comments to students.
Midnight on the last day of classes of the Easter semester: Submission of FINAL hard copy of Honors thesis to Chair. The chair has Print Services make five copies: one to the Dean, one for the library, one for the biology office, one for the student and one for the advisor.
STUDENT APPLICATION FOR HONORS
Title of project
Name of research advisor:
Is your research advisor aware that you plan to submit a paper for Honors?
If your research advisor is not on the University of the South campus, please give his/her address.
Was your project the result of course work or employment?
If your project was associated with course work, specify the course, the instructor, and when and where it was taken.
If your project was associated with employment, specify the location of the employment and the amount and nature (salary, stipend, etc.) of the remuneration.
This form is due to the Chair of Biology by April 1 (please use an additional sheet, if needed).